Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 17 - Still Mt. Rushmore

Here we are, Day 17, and still having one of the best times of our lives. Still in Keystone, SD. Why? Because we like it, that's why. Such a beautiful country we live in.

We had extended another day at the motel, but they couldn't accomodate us for a 4th night tonight, so moved motels to one across the street and up a heck of a hill. Beautiful view of rocks out our window, and only 20 feet away. Also quite a view of the air conditioning unit for this section of the building, but at least we have a room for the night.

We drove to Rapid City so I could pick up some antifreeze for the Vette. We were going up some serious hills yesterday and the engine started running hotter than normal, so didn't want to take any chances. Rapid City is only 20 miles away, but glad we stayed in Keystone due to the proximity of the monument.

This photo is what I like to call "My Full-Assed Photo". I was experimenting with my camera using the built-in timer that I've never used before, and this was one of my less professional photos. The other photos came out OK after several attempts.






This is the photo that I like to refer to as "Sheila's Half-Assed Photo". As we were passing some wild donkeys, Sheila snapped this "half-attractive" view of the north end of a south-bound donkey. A fine job if I do say so.

I also took a photo of a lonesome scrub pine tree up on a hill side that I thought would be a nice scene. Unfortunately, Sheila kept pointing out all of the other single trees on the countryside, having quite a chuckle at my expense. Little does she know, National Geographic (or maybe that was National Lampoon) wants that fabulous photo for their next cover.

Tomorrow (Saturday), we head for Denver. Checked the milage from Keystone to Denver, and it about 300 miles - Our planned limit for our typical day of driving. Oh Goody - I get to pack the back end of the Vette again. It is a challenge each time we leave a motel, but we look forward to our next stop each day we take off. We have now traveled about 3400 miles, starting from Salem at an elevation of approximately 180 feet, and have reached approximately 6000 feet above sea level at the Crazy Horse Monument. And we're probably only a third of the way through our trip. The saga continues... K

OK so now Ken thinks he's the Bernard Baruch of photos, just call for weddings and bar mitsvahs he'll try to work you in. I like to take photos as well it's not my fault the strong willed burro turned his least photogenic side to my camera.
Went to Rapid City today, brought back memories. When I graduated from nursing two of my friends joined the air force and were sent here, at that time I thought it was the end of the world. Now here I am and traveling further, it's a strange world Brother John. We toured a gold jewelry factory, learned all about Black Hills gold, how it started. It's supposed to bring good luck and good fortune to the wearer. Ken bought me a beautiful gold ring, now we'll have nothing but good fortune.
Drove back to Keystone and then toured the museum of Gunter Borglum, sculptor of Mount Rushmore. Very interesting, such a very talented man, he started sculpting the presidents at age 60, when most people think of retiring he started this Herculean endeavor.
Tomorrow on the road again, it will be interesting to see the changes in Denver since we were here last 12 yrs ago. S

No comments:

Post a Comment