Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 10 - Bellevue, Nebraska

Today was another trip through memory lane for me as I drove Sheila around Bellevue again and then found our way into Omaha and the Old Market area. This area is now tourist heaven, and I was lucky to find the place after all these years. It would be a fun place to spend a day going through the shops and cafes, but didn't have the time. I did locate a machine shop that had been owned by a couple of friends' father, and one of the sons still runs the place. I stopped and surprised him and we talked for a while before we had to leave and he had to get back to work.

My old stomping grounds have changed so much in all these years, and some places I recognized, but others have changed so completely or are no longer there. Quite a shock. Did go back to the cafe we had visited the day before and has fried fish again. Had to make a video documenting from the cafe back to our old home in Bellevue so my brother could get an idea how much everything has changed. My sister had been here in Omaha/Bellevue a week ago for a high school reunion so has seen all the changes. She couldn't get over the changes either. K

Hi all,
Really enjoyed our trip to Olde town. It's been years since we've been but it still has that quaint feeling. Stopped into an artist co-operative, what beautiful things. The first thing I asked was ,"do you ship?", I was so disappointed when they said they didn't. So many different and striking things at good prices. I did buy a pair of copper and silver earrings very light and different, but if they could have shipped pieces it would be another story.
Would have liked to have spent more time there but too tempting. S

2 comments:

  1. Artists! No mind for business; they could have pointed down (or up) the street to the nearest FedEx or UPS drop off...

    Can't wit to hear about the reunion, it's coming up soon, right? Before the Grand Canyon?

    Sounds like a great time, and you're only ten days into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Old Town!! Glad you bought something, Sheila. At least earrings don't take up much space!!

    Joyce Duda

    ReplyDelete