Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 36 - San Antonio to Lake Charles, LA

Day 36, so many changes. When we started our trip, I wore pressed, nice clothes to travel with and coordinating jewelry. When I went to the rest room I took my purse, freshened up my makeup, brushed my hair, and applied fresh lipstick.

The second week of our travels, I wore travel clothes, didn't change my jewelry, and when I went to the rest room took my purse, fluffed my hair with my hand, and applied fresh lipstick.

The third week of our travels my travel clothes were clean but wrinkled, when I went to the rest room took my purse, thought my hair looked ok and put on fresh lipstick.

Week four travel clothes were worn twice before washing, when I went to the rest room I didn't take my purse and didn't look in the mirror. Now we're on week 6, my travel clothes don't match but are clean, no plaids and checks yet. When I go to the restroom cannot take my purse because it's full of things that don't fit in the back of the Vette. Today I had a bunch of bananas, a half drunk coke, maps, a triple A book, 5 paperback books, some vintage lipstick, a crumpled wallet, a pair of sunglasses with only one leg, postcards, all in one purse, shutting optional and impossible.

I plan to turn over a new leaf tomorrow, we're going into New Orleans, I plan on ironing shorts and a matching top but sometimes plans don't work out the way I think.

Ken was up at 6 am this morning and at 6:30 was doing an "all hands on deck." Since I was the only person in the room and working hard on my "beauty sleep", guess that was me. I got up and moving. I wore a pair of clean brown/blue/white shorts and a lime green shirt, mmmm, guess I don't make Vogue this month.

Today we drove to Lake Charles, La, still in central time zone. Very pretty area, again hot and humid. On checking into the motel we put on bathing suits and went for a swim, wonderful pool could really swim the length, both Ken and I had a ball. S

Landscape changed again today. Mostly flat land with lots of green fields and trees. Hit Houston, and managed to get hit with torrential rain again. Those Texans do not slow down for rain like the guy from New Hampshire driving the Corvette! Those dark rain clouds followed us from Houston all the way to Lake Charles, Louisiana, but only rained on us in Houston.

We have now hit construction on every day of our travels. We have driven as high as 7600 feet above sea level to a low of 26 feet today as we entered Louisiana. Averaged 28.4 mpg today with most of the driving at 65 to 70 mph. Sure miss those 80 mph days in Texas. Looking at the on-board computer in the Vette, we have now averaged 58.4 mph for the entire trip. Average mpg is approximately 29 mpg overall. Love this Vette for its handling, capabilities, gas mileage, and the fact that we attract so many smiles and comments on our travels. We have met so many nice people on this trip. At the motel last night, we met a guy whose wife was from Kearney, Nebraska, and who had a sister from Bellevue, Nebraska. What a small world. We beat he and his wife to both places by one week during our trip.

Continuing to have fun with my "Cowgirl". We have had so much fun on this trip. Neither of us ever expected we would have so much fun together and still be speaking at the end of 36 days on the road.

We will be talking about this trip for years. Even though we have only posted a few photos every night, we will be boring our friends and family with tons of photos that we have actually taken. Amazing how many photos have been taken at 65 - 80 mph (or 100 kph for those of you that haven't figured out that our actual speed in Canada was only 62 mph).

Many of you who have been following our blog didn't catch the fact that the photo of the speedometer taken in Canada was in Metric, not English. Now is the time to confess, I guess. There was the time in northwestern Nebraska that I passed a truck, only to realize it was traveling so slow because there were two other trucks ahead of it. The Vette, being the sports car that it is, gave me no indication when I passed those trucks and checked the GPS later, I had passed them at 102 mph. It felt like 75 mph.


Tomorrow, on to New Orleans for a couple of days, and then Monday we will leave for Georgia. We plan to arrive at my sister Vicki's home on Tuesday afternoon. Will spend several days with her and hope to see my brother while we're there too. Then on to Savannah, GA, on Monday. K

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful..you and the cowgirl still having fun..and the memories you'll have..love it!..yes, you did fool me with the speedometer..but who knew..would I not think you would go 100..great the vet is still giving you a great ride..cheers!

    ReplyDelete