Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 3 - Back to the USA


Hi all,

I started today with a facial. Our hotel in Ontario had a spa that was calling me so I had a facial this morning that put me in a Zen state. I won't say what state it put Ken in, but a quote went something like" We can't be on the road till ten am because you're having a facial?"
We just pulled off the road for the day in Chelsea Michigan, it was raining cats and dogs. We had wanted to continue to Battle Creek, however, they are having a balloon festival there and rooms were hard to come by. I'm getting smarter, think if we choose smaller towns, and call ahead and negotiate so we get a better rate.
Plan tomorrow is to stop somewhere around Chicago.
Cat doing better at our daughter and son in laws. Or cat actually always did well but their cats were getting to a point where professional help was needed. Today I think they are all getting used to each other.
I've done no shopping at all, saving everything for the mother lode, or Mall of America. Ken think's I've turned over a new leaf.
Went thru customs today in Michigan, they thought we were from Ontario. It went something like an Inspector Clusseau piece. He asked how long we were going to spend in the USA I said we live here, he said no you're from Ontario and what do you want to do in the USA. Finally things got straightened out and we went on our way, but only after being asked if we had any fruit from Canada. Well UMMMMM at breakfast we went to a buffet that had fruit so I picked up a couple of pieces of fruit to munch on for the drive. We were asked if we had any apples, still had a golden delicious picked up in Salem,NH, well he looked at that apple like it was contraband, wondered why there was no sticker on it. I said I took it off when I washed the fruit, and so Inspector finally passed us thru. S

As you can see in the photo, the Vette ran like a charm today. (Note the speedometer indication.) At that speed, it still managed to get 33.4 mpg or, if you like the Canadian version, 7.1 liters per 100 Km. Interesting to buy gas in Canada. Have no idea what the price per gallon was, but paid about $0.95 per liter, Canadian. Also received a "Loony" in Canadian change ($2.00 in Canadian currency - We'll never be able to spend that.) K

Love,

Sheila and Ken

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am enjoying your 'saga' westward.
    Glad to hear you are having a great time.
    Love ya,
    Baby Brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, you guys are having just having a fun time!..and did I see 100 mph???..wow..catch you tomorrow..enjoy!!..Love, Kate & Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it's your oldest brother..Sounds like yo guys should stay in this country. Interpol called me to verify you are actually U.S. citizens. Hopefully weather will cooperate and you will get great travel conditions. Have fun....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Ken, looks like a great time so far. Where's the video?

    ReplyDelete